Sunday 4 May 2014

Year of Projects: Week 45


I have apparently reached the point of my knitting life that it no longer bothers me to frog a project and start again.  Remember that free form project I had started last week? I was working on the gusset before I tried it on. Let's just say 72sts on a 1US needle where most of the pattern is stockinette is WAY too big.


So it was either keep it and have it too big after the cuff or rip it out and start again. I ended up opening up a sock knitting book, trying to figure out how to free form a pattern and coming up with the gauge. I ended up starting a pair of socks that I have wanted since I first saw them in the Sock Innovation book by Cookie A. Right now, it's a lot of ribbing...and more ribbing til 6.5". I think this will be an excellent time to catch up on tv watching.

I worked a bit on the Tree of Life socks and this time, I got the colour order right and I am loving them.

Yesterday (Saturday) was the 1st year anniversary of one of my LYS's, Handknit Yarn Studio. I did a quick setup to celebrate with this today after lunch and I took a couple of my cousins with me. I made sure to pick up a button they had made for the occasion and I added it to my knittin bag.


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're ripping and restarted. Wide, floppy socks are no fun ... and they don't wear well either. I find 72 sts too much even on size 0 (2mm) needles. On size 1 (2.25mm) needles I find about 64 stitches works for me. I like my socks snug :)

    Sounds like a fun outing to the LYS. Love the button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, is that bad to get so comfortable starting over all the time? LOL! I must admit there is a point at which I will cry though...everyone has their limits. I use a #2 and cast on 64 but then I haven't finished mine or worn them so don't take my word for it but Susan Anderson does #1's and casts on 64 in her basic sock pattern and she has done dozens of pairs. Good luck and gorgeous socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the socks! I think it's better to get over being upset about frogging instead of letting a project go wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you get to the stage when if they don't fit, it's better to start again - I like the badge!

    ReplyDelete