Monday 19 November 2012

One week's progress

I said last week that this was going to be a Bex./Blankie week.  I did finish the heel flap in record time  I tried it on the intended recipient and she loves it so far..


By the time I went to my knitting circle on Tuesday, my ears were cold and I decided I needed a hat.  That worked out well for the day since on of the ladies from my circle finally finished her 4x4 rib scarf that she had been working on for months and was looking for a simple hat to do.  She found a 1x1 ribbed hat pattern.  I wrote down the basic information and as soon as I got home, I pulled out my needles, pulled out a skein of Brava Acrylic yarn and casted on (you can now read about my love affair with Brava yarn).  By Saturday night, I had myself a simple hat that covered my ears.  I just wished I made it a little bit longer but it's okay for fall.


Once I finished the hat, I pulled out my Blankie and set to work.  I added on 5 squares from Saturday to Sunday,  I hesitantly added a square of Chroma.  I don't know if it will felt when this blanket will eventually gets washed but I do like the very long colour transition.  The colour only changed from a medium purple to a very slightly darker purple.  It's hard to tell the difference.  I just wish this yarn came in superwash.  I don't even mind that it's single ply, at least not for the Blankie.  I tried using 3 different colours in a single square and I like the finished result, however, I  need to start re-evaluating my colour choices and get some more pastels and lighter tone colours.  You can't see the full Blankie in the picture but it's only a bit longer on either side.  I am really loving my Blankie.  I'm also looking forward to the Cookie Sock Club 2013, especially because of the practically guaranteed left over sock yarn that will go into this Blankie.


On another note, I have been listening to "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett and read by John Lee as I have been knitting.  Number one, the story is great.  Number two, time really flies that you don't even realize how much progress you've made as you listen to it. I think I'm going to try to listen to more books this way.  I really do like to read but reading a book, knitting projects and writing are all time consuming activities for me.  By doing the knitting and listening to a book, I can get more done.

On another-nother note, I saw a sweater that I want to make.  If anyone has any suggestions as to how to deal with the lace designed front panels, please let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Gosh both projects look lovely! The squares in your blanket really shine with the black edging. I love audio books when driving on long trips. My Mom and I used to listen to this whole series about this guy who traveled to every far flung outpost of the British empire. It was wildly entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW..the blankie is awesome..look at all the ends! I always listen to my books nowadays.. My earbuds rarely leave my ears..I fall asleep listening! I have them loaded on my laptop, nook, and shuffle... Keeps my hands free for whateva! I think I have that audiobook..must check

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats a good warm hat :) I love your blanket too, one day I will have enough leftovers to think about doing one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sock is amazing, what's the pattern? And the blankie looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's this pattern here on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sock-yarn-blanket). There's even a Ravelry group for it too called "Blankie Mania".

      Delete