Friday 30 November 2012

I am positively giddy today

And I don't even fully know why. Sure it's been a decent week but nothing to be really giddy about.

Where should I start with the recounting...

Last week in my Creative Writing class, the teacher said to have a copy of our stories printed out so we can edit each other's work. I had previously lost my usb key with just about everything I've ever written and actually wanted to keep. So when I was supposed to be listening to the teacher as she went on and on about the unworthiness of the Giller Prize winner's wor, I began writing out my woes called "17 Years Missing".  I ended up turning that into my story. I still wasn't finished by the point of printing but I didn't have access to a printer other than on Tuesday. So I printed it out.and hoped for the best. I refused to look at it because I get very judgemental of my work and somehow it turns from black and white to black, white and red, well before anyone got a chance to look at it. Mo, my reading buddy, read over the story and I loved the fact that she read into the subtle hints that I wrote into it.

These characters have been in my head for the past couple of years, coming from different sources; some off the top of my head, some yanked over from my Sims 2 neighbourhood like Dingo and Sedar who's names along made me love them. They have developed personality traits and quirks that are ingrained in them and when I write about them, it comes through, sometimes without me even realizing it until later.

Mo said the anti-social behaviour of the main character was evident despite the fact that she spends majority of the story surrounded by people. Mo even stopped at the end of a paragraph, turned to me and said "Is her best friend gay?" I had a huge grin on my face that she got that even though I never explicitly said so. She even gave me a great way to end the story. It started in a journal entry and it will end in a journal entry. I really like the points that she gave although I'm almost afraid that it will be longer than the 2500 word limit the teacher gave. That alone tells me that short stories are just not my thing.  I already feel like I have to leave out a lot as it is...for a story about a missing usb key. So that's giddy point #1.

I have also been bouncing in my chair since last night since I got an email earlier in the afternoon regarding my package from ACME Fibres (looking at the package suspiciously beside me and hoping there isn't a bomb of some sort attached a la Wylie Coyote) with the Canada Post tracking number. I have been refreshing the update in the app on my phone to see if it was getting any closer. It got sent out of delivery at 11:45ish this morning and it was litterally at my doorstep when I checked for the mail 15 minutes ago. I know it's got my new Hiya Hiya Needles and my skein of undyed Merino/Nylon yarn. I promised myself that I wouldn't open it until I finished this entry since that is what I started doing first. Now I have something to look. Giddy point #2!

Now the non-giddy issue. My education is going to have to be put on hold again! I went to a seminar about the Second Career Program at my mother's Alma Matter (is that even the proper spelling for that) and as I listened to the information provided for me, I knew there was no way I could get into the Winter term like I wanted it. The program at the first school I wanted to get into which is almost around the corner from my house, is already full and there's a waiting list. There was nothing that I could do to do anything earlier as there was another limit as to what I could do before I was even eligible for the program to begin with. At my mother's AM, there is still space available but even after going through the necessary testing and such to get into the program and then waiting for the SCP to provide the tuition costs, it would be well past the time. So, here is to still doing everything I can from my side to get everything in so I can get into the Computer Networking program for the fall, with a good chance of changing the school I had originally wanted to go to. Seems to me that schooling on the verge of downtown is immensely cooler than schooling in the West end. No interesting places to visit.

The a'fore mentioned non-giddy part also means I really need to get a part time job or else there will be no income come March and that will be immensely sad.

15 mins later...
I finished writing this entry and skipped to my room to open the package. I really had to fight to open the box. I think that took the most time. While attacking the stubborn box, I noticed that I have a heathered black yarn from Knitpicks and 2 balls of Felici and a stroll hand painted skein of yarn that has barely been used. I can use them for the Surfer's Sock! No need to tempt myself with by looking at more sock yarn online :)

I finally got the box opened and this was its final state. I WON THE BATTLE!


These were the goodies that I were hidden inside! I can't wait to go a-dyeing :D


No comments:

Post a Comment