Friday 13 March 2015

My Knitting Life for the past 2 weeks

FO
I had a quick FO in the past week and a half.  I started it on Thursday on the bus on the way to work, finished it the next Monday and weaved in the ends on Tuesday morning.  I made the Bankhead Hat by Susie Gourlay.  I saw the a WIP and FO by Sarah of the Canadian Knitter Podcast and decided on Thursday that I needed to make a hat so I did.  I did a good amount of that work on Saturday night at a housewarming with people I've known my whole life staring at me in awe that I can knit and that I do in fact actually knit.

Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted Multi
Colourway: Black Purl


It is bigger than I thought it would be but it's good to cover hair that is not actually styled the way I want it to be soon.  I'm going to make another one with a smaller set of needles and casting on 10 less stitches.  I think that should be enough.  The only problem is that I barely have any worsted weight stash that is not acrylic.  I have to do something about that.  It's quite appealing to have a project started, finished and able to be work so quickly.

WIP
It's almost a HO thought!  I working my way through the Smokestack Socks by Tanis Lavallee.  It is a beautiful pattern and it makes this sock yarn look much better than I thought it would when I got it in the skein.  I'm further behind than I wanted to be but with good reason.  I put the socks aside to work on my sister's cowl and to make the Bankhead hat but excellent progress was made since, especially considering my prime time of knitting at my knitting circle was barely used since I left early due to not feeling well.

Yarn: Knitpicks Stroll Tonal
Colourway: Folliage

Stash Enhancement
With a lot of hemming and hawing, I joined a 3-month yarn club.  It's by Penguin Soup (aka: Ginny).  I have been wanting to buy a skein of yarn from her since I started watching her podcast just under a year ago.  She got me this time.  It's Firefly themed and she said there's going to be a skein that matches Jayne's hat.  How could I say no to that?  And I might as well take advantage of it while I still have money to get some sock yarn.

I recently added my first skein of Desert Vista Dye Works.  The colourway is Zombody Loves Ewe.  I felt like I should have bought just for the name alone.  I love it and I plan to purchase more at a later date (job pending of course).

Yarn: Dessert Vista Dye Works Viso (self-stripping)
Colourway: Zombodie Loves Ewe

I had the intention of going to the Purple Purl today (as in Friday) before I went to class.  It is clear on the otherside of Toronto but the store opens at 10 on a Friday right?  Wrong.  It opens at 11. Much to my disappointment I couldn't get there, come back for lunch at school and then class afterwards.  Since I knew exactly what I was looking for (Turtle Purl Stripped toes sock yarn), I looked online and found only 1 other location in Toronto sells it, The Knit Café.  There weren't too many options for colours but I left with the Snow White colourway which is perfect since I'm going through a Once Upon A Time phase (the show is awesome and Pan is a grade A jerk).

Yarn: Turtlepurl Yarns Striped Turtle Toes
Colourway: Snow White

And what will I be doing with all of the skeins of yarn?  Stash 'em of course. I'm in the midst of going through my Red Paper Bags of socks still (I've finished 2 and I'm working on the 3rd out of 11).  They'll be added to my sock stash that shrinking for after I finish my challenge.

I've been doing good otherwise.  No new patterns either paid or free...no wait, I downloaded a free pattern.  It was Speargrass by Susie Gourle, the same designer of the Bankhead hat.  And I got the official pattern for a test knit for a pair of socks.  It is absolutely gorgeous however it won't be available for purchase until March 2016 as it is a part of a sock club

No comments:

Post a Comment