Monday 23 March 2015

Wonderful...somewhat sarcastic and definitely not sarcastic

Sarcastic "Wonderful"
Tuesday evening I started mixing out my dye for the dark rich purple I was looking for (for future referrence, I used 2 tsps of sapphire blue and 1 tsp of vermillion red I think).  Somehow I didn't realize that this mix was to be used for stock and not for straight dyeing until about 30 minutes after I put in the yarn but "oh well, let's see how this turns out".  I checked this morning and I started the rinse out.  The yarn looked black.

Me: Okay, cool.  First try and all that.  Definitely need to water it down by alot next time.

Continued rinsing out and my fingers are turning purple as well as my nails which are much harder to clean.

Me: I really should have followed the directions that said to use rubber gloves.  Ooh! This is looking like a really nice, dark navy blue.  Let's rinse some more.

Suffice it to say at last check at around 5pm, I am still rinsing out dye.  The yarn still doesn't look purple but I do like it if it stays at this navy-ish colour and I still have 75 g left to get the right colour.  If this colour is repeatable, I would definitely call it "Might as well be black" since that is exactly what I was thinking when I first started rinsing it out.

ETA: it's been over 4 days, and I'm still washing dye out of it

Not Sarcastic Wonderful
Also on Tuesday at my knitting circle, one of my friends brought a collection of...let's just call it Crafting Books (she really does everything except for spinning yarn - I checked - and flower arranging - since her thumb is really not green according to her).  I saw a book about Knitting Stitch patterns.  I flipped through the pages and I wanted to put the book in my bag and run away with it.  The books were not for sale.  They were for viewing only.  This only made me determined to finally purchase the Stitch dictionary I have had on my wish list for Chapters since I started knitting.  And then she surprised me by offering a trade.  I can keep the book and in return, I knit her a pair of socks, in purple of course.  I asked her if she didn't mind waiting for it.  She doesn't care, as long as I knit her a pair of socks.  I can do that!  I just need to actually get purple yarn.  I still have a skeing from the 2013 Cookie Sock club but it has no nylon so I still don't want to knit socks from it.  One of these days I'll figure out what I'm going to do with it.  Maybe trade it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment