Sunday 11 August 2013

Year of Projects: Week 7


I finally have a finished project! A sock project!  So that means I can finally use this:


And show off my socks!


The Spock Socks are done. They just need to be laundered but that'll have to wait until later. I'm still basking in the "I have a new pair of socks" feeling.

And with a newly finished pair of socks, I have more yarn to add to the Blankie. As much as I'd like to immediately add the Tanis Fiber Arts Blue Label to the Blankie, I know myself; once I put on one, I won't stop. Then I'll bemoan the fact that I'm not finishing my other projects. I just need to learn some self control and patience.

I could have also picked up on the Shapely Boyfriend Cardigan but decided against it. I'm still at the ribbing and I have about 5 more rounds to go however it is such a good project to work on when people want I have a conversation with you at a knitting circle. This is what generally occurs at the knitting circle so in saving my more mindless knitting for then.

I went looking for the Tiberius Socks that I had started not long after Spock socks. For the life of me, I could not find it. I saw the bag I had housed it in a few days before but it was like it sprouted legs and in the middle of the night, it decided to take a leisurely stroll off of my bed and never came back.

Not much worried other than the fact I had the perfect colour for "Command Gold" inside of there. I went to a box I had with 50g balls of sock yarn from Knit Picks and pulled out Dandelion in Stroll. At the very least, it was not as bright as my Sunshine Tanis yarn that by name alone sounds too bright to be used for socks named after Capt. James T. Kirk.


See how bright this colourway is? The Sunshine skein is even brighter.  The Tiberius socks are coming out nicely. In actually really liking the pattern and I was shocked with the progress I had made in less than a day. By the time I had gone to bed on the first night, I had almost finished the 24 rows of the setup and now, I'm half way through the leg chart already.  I think these may end up being a quick knit pair.  I am enjoying the process way too much.

Last Monday I received the patterns for August and September. I don't know how much I am really feeling them. I may just spend some of the time finishing up WIPs and maybe attempt anklet versions instead. Who knows? Maybe my opinion will change once I start knitting them.

I actually started looking through my stash, trying to decide what yarn I was going to use for the Tree of Life socks by Janel Laidman only to realize the next day that I have the Firebrand socks on my list, which requires a lot more yarn...I may be making my first change on the list.  The Tree of Life socks were the socks that attracted me to the book in the first place so I don't think I'll be feeling guilty about changing the pattern.  Perhaps I can get some suggestions as to what to use (for socks that probably won't be attempted until next year).

The 2 right squares have the same skeins of yarn but it's different ends of it.  The dark colour is Kohl in Muscadine by Springtree Road.  The contrast skein in the top left is Foliage in Stroll by Knit Picks; bottom right is Goldstone in Muscadine by Springtree Road and the right side is a skein that I dyed myself from Acme Fibres.


25 comments:

  1. Those Spock socks are just gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing your other sock projects :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love the Spock socks, they turned out great. I keep forgetting to use my 26pair sock button, perhaps on the Fruit Salad pair this week I'll remember to use it. That Dandelion sure is bright, makes me wonder how bright Sunshine is lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I still have not found a pattern I want to use for it yet. I'm thinking something lacey should suit it well.

      Delete
  3. The spock socks look great! I love the pairing of the yarn with the pattern. And I love the bright yellow socks! I'm thinking I need some yellow ones, will have to remember that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going for a Science Officer Blue and a Command Gold, as per Star Trek. The Command Gold just decided to disappear but the Dandelion colour is looking lovely still.

      Knitpicks Dandelion in Stroll. I had to go double check to see if they still carry the colour and they do

      Delete
  4. Spock Socks are great. That is really a bright yellow and will be perfect to wear on those dreary winter days when you need a bit of pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'll just take off the boots and admire my feet :D

      Delete
  5. I love the Spock socks and the yellow is lovely. I personally would go for the Foliage in Stroll as a contrast! Can't wait for more socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestion. That's 1 for Foliage. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with the yarn and I do think using it in a colourwork project would be the best use of it. I'm not sure I'd really like an entire sock in that colourway.

      Delete
  6. The Spock socks are great! I love the bright yellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you :D I'm thinking of getting more of these solids from Knitpicks. I'm liking it more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  7. Love both the Spock socks and the yellow socks! I'm excited to see the Springtree Road yarn-- I love her stuff, and I don't see very many people using it. No suggestions about your pairings, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I was thinking that no one else seems to know Springtree Road except for me and the people in her group in Ravelry. I LOVE her yarn. I even gave her a shoutout on my blog (http://thisismetryingtobeawriter.blogspot.ca/2013/04/shoutouts-springtree-road.html)

      Delete
  8. Gonna join these masses a profess my love for the Spock Socks. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the masses. Unfortunately I do not have cookies but I will be baking a boxed cake tomorrow, if that will suffice. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Pretty socks! I like the yellow too....bright but they're down at your feet so I think it's okay. Mindless knitting? I have no idea what that is! LOL! Beautiful yarns especially the one you dyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! As for the mindless knitting, I managed to surprise myself and knit the Tiberius (the yellow) socks entire bus trip PLUS knitting while walking through 2 museums, while still listening to the lady who was directing us. Another lady who went on the tour with me looked at me stunned.

      Delete
  10. Those Spock socks are cool. The st pattern is so defined. The gold is fun for Kirk's. He did after all have one heck of a personality on the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them so :D Funny thing is that I'm liking the Tiberius more as I'm knitting them.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful socks! I love the color and the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some fabulous yellow yarn for socks knocking around, you've inspired me to have a look for it and get going on some socks! Yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete