Saturday 31 August 2013

Bring it down to three?

Last night, I somehow discovered a knitting blog called Eskimimakes. I adore this blog!

What really struck me was something so simple; on her side bar, there's a project widget just like on mine that's linked to Ravelry. She only has 3 projects. 

I have become so accustomed to having many projects on the go; and by many, I mean like 10. I believe it's starting to get ridiculous. So I started to think "Why would it be bad to have a smaller amount of workable projects?"

In my mind, I'm thinking, "Right now, if consider 3 current projects to be the test pattern socks, my Shapely Boyfriend cardigan and my Blankie." If I took that to heart, that means I have a lot of work to finish before I dare cast on anything new. The only exception would be for the birthday gifts that I need to finish; the Irish Hiking Hat for RJ and the little purse for Jas. More than enough to keep me occupied for the next little while.

6 comments:

  1. I've heard that 6 is a good number. 2 small ones that travel well, 1 mindless one that you don't need to look at a pattern to work on, 1 that is being a headache and is in time out, and 2 gifts. I don't know how well that works in reality...

    How do you get the project widget? I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed to locate on Ravelry where I found the code for it: http://www.ravelry.com/help/api

      From there on blogger, I put in a java widget, I think and pasted the code. It worked so I assume I did it correctly.

      As for the 6, I don't really knit for other people, I have the mindless knitting covered with the Blankie and the Shapely Boyfriend. Other than a few increases and decreases, there's not much else on it. The travel project is always a pair of socks. I guess I'll work out what will work for me as time goes on.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'll have to do that soon...

      I think it's honestly different for different people. I've tried to be project monogamous but lately I just want to keep casting things on!

      Delete
    3. I'm bad :) I've already casted on a new project without finishing anything.

      Delete
    4. *laughs* I cast on tester socks with Husband sitting next to me exclaiming that I wasn't allowed to cast on a new project yet. It was cute.

      I'd like to point out that for someone who doesn't really knit for other people, it seems like you're knitting for other people. :)

      Delete
    5. Shhh! Don't tell people! More people will start to ask! Just wait until Sunday's update and you'll see something new; just for me...or maybe a cousin of mine.

      Delete