Sunday 4 August 2013

Year of Projects: Week 6


I am so behind schedule; not based on my Blankie or my Shapely Boyfriend cardigan, because those are pretty much all I have worked on since the New Knitting Year. It is now the beginning of August and the 6th week of projects and I have not finished a single pair of socks! I have 26 to do and I have not finished a single one. The only redeeming factor in this sock knitting endevour is that I haven't cast on a new pair, not that I haven't been tempted.

As mentioned earlier on in the week, I have received my August/September skein of yarn for the 2013 Cookie A. Sock Club (it's from MissBabs and it's gorgeous) and it brought to my attention that it means the patterns are coming. I am not done with either pair of my June/July shipment [bang head against pillow because a wall would be just too painful]. I really need to catch up!

Therefore, I shall decree to make sock knitting my exclusive knitting project once the cardigan is done! So let it be typed! So let it be done!

Now onto this week's pride and joy; my Shapely Boyfriend Cardigan.

I tried it on this week and realized a few problems. Nothing wrong with the design but as I have previously mentioned for the past few YOP entries, I am short. And as a part of this shortness, many things that are not supposed to be long, are long on me so...I had to make a little adjustment.

If I had stayed according to the original instructions, the cardigan would almost reach my knees. Waaaaay to long. After I finished the hip shaping and tried it on, it was a quarter of the way past my bum. I still had almost 20 rows of stockinette knitting PLUS 10 rows of ribbing. I shortened the stockinette to 3, and so far, I have only one row of ribbing done with further 9 to go before I bind off. 

After that, it's sleeves, neckline and button paneling. The end seems so much closer.




I have the cardigan hanging on my closet door to take pictures for this entry. I took a shot of the front, and then a shot of the back and realized I want to knit a boat neck, cap-sleeved summer sweater. Off to hunt for a pattern to put in the queue!

Note: I already found it! It's called the Summer Scabbard by Jennifer Hansen.

Year of Projects/26 Pair Plunge Update List

15 comments:

  1. That head banging into the pillow is the reason I fear yarn clubs. Too much pressure! I love your cardigan so far - as a fellow shorty, I can totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the club I'm worried about. Either way I get a skein of yarn and 2 exclusive patterns every 2 months. I'm worried about the 26 pairs I wanted to make and the none that are done.

      Delete
  2. Love the caridgan and also as a fellow shorty (under 5ft) I can relate to the problem of needing to adjust length, its the main reason I've not knit a garment for myself yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already went through this sizing problem when I did the Lissajous knee socks. I just came to the conclusion that most knitters don't have my dimensions. By the time I finished the calf shaping, as per the pattern, I was at the heel flap.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Summer Scabard is awesome ... I just wish I had the figure for it! I can't really relate to shortening things - I'm over six feet - but I think you must save on yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the yarn savings, especially when it comes to socks! The extra goes to the Blankie.

      Delete
  4. Cool on finishing this cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cardie is looking great. Summer Scabard is really pretty. I just can not handle wearing clothes that cling to me. But I do admire people that do and can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've manage to gather about myself I regard to my clothing, I prefer shirts (and dresses for that matter) that's close to the chest on skins underneath the chest.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes all the pretty things are too hard to ignore. My list of WIPs will prove that to anyone who asks.
    Can't wait to see the socks. Happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I keep seeing more things that I want to knit and I also want to re-knit variations of things I've already done. It's insane!

      Delete
  7. The cardigan looks lovely already. So cosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I couldn't keep up with 26 pairs in a year (or even 2 years), so I'm impressed you're even trying! And the cardigan is lovely, can't wait to see it finished and modelled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't given up! I'm still surprised with myself for doing 5 pairs of socks since January plus a bunch of single socks. And Thank you in regards to the cardigan :D

      Delete