Sunday 23 September 2012

Something new to try

While going through the Cookie Jar thread on the Ravelry group Sock Knitter's Annonymous, someone was knitting the sock pattern called Bex. I had flipped past this pattern quite a few times in my book however seeing hers, made me want to knit it. And I really liked the peach yarn she used. Much to my dismay, it was not purchased in that state and she had dyed it herself.

Off and on for the past year, I've wanted to give a try at dying my own yarn. I know that Knitpicks has yarn for dying but since I've tried other types if yarn, I...don't really want to use anything but their Gloss line which contains silk. I was also wondering where the in Indie Dyers got the base yarns. I went on google and found a site that sells undyed yarns in 5 skeins bunches for under $50 for BFL, which I have always wanted to try.

I'm not certain what kind of dyes I'd use. I'm teetering between Kool-Aid or the Jaquard acid based dyes from KnitPicks. It seems safer (and cheaper) to go with Kool-Aid so maybe I should start stocking up with the packets and start investing in a drying rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment