Thursday 23 January 2014

Wanting to try something new

Keep in mind that I was planning to write up this entry yesterday...

This week has been an alright knitting week. I finished the test cowl and started a test sock, using one of my oldest skeins in my stash (it's only 3 years old at most but it's the thought that counts).


While working on this Test Sock pattern by Econnerd from Ravelry, I got a flash of an idea of a variation. I want to try it out and I'm pretty sure I could write out a pattern but the question now is can I publish it for myself or would it be a form of plagiarism? I'm sure I can still make more changes to make it unique. I'm gonna work on it some more and see what happens.

I've started looking the my copy of The Knitter's Almenac" by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I purchased it because I was hearing about the Pi Shawl that she came up with. I will admit that when I first for the book and started skimming it, I was left with a "What the heck?" feeling. It made no sense to me. Come back again in a couple of months and start looking at it and it slowly starts making sense, to the point that I really want to start one almost immediately.  I even pulled out yarn for it too.


You can clearly tell that I don't have enough of one colour to make it to the 1000+ requires yards but I do think I like the colour transition. What is stopping me from proceeding is the fact that I don't have any DPNs in the size required and none of the variations seem to be with 3US or smaller needles.

I printed out a few of the Pi Shawl patterns to help me decide. I currently have Pi Shawl: Camping and Vortex Shawl in front of me but I'm still perusing my options on Ravelry.

I tracked down another pattern that I'd like to do; this time it's another pair of mittens by SpillyJane. It's the Peacock Mittens. I don't have any yarn set aside as of yet. And this rate, I'm going to have a bunch of colour work mittens ready for next winter; especially since there are at least an additional 2 mitten patterns that I want to do as well.

One more thing! I got another knitting student. The non crafty cousin, B2, asked me to teach her how to knit. It could also be the influence of her best friend who does all things crafty. She's actually doing quite well considering I don't have any straight needles to teach her with. I only had a set of 6US circular needles and she was more than happy to work with those instead. I hope she really does stick with it. It would be nice to have another knitter in the house.

Okay, another "One thing". I realized I needed another mindless knitting project for the bus and work since I am going to be there all of next week. 

Springtree Road Muscadine in colourway Kohl and Anzula Squishy in colourway Maple

So yeah, I'm starting the Barndom Shawl for myself (and I swear I am keeping it for myself this time). It's gonna look like a subtle bumblebee but that's okay with me.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar question about a pair of socks I was test knitting. They've inspired my own design. The general consensus I got was that so long as there were differences, it isn't really plagiarism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll I guess that's good news. I already came up with another modification for it.

      Delete