Saturday 4 January 2014

Year of Projects: Week 27 & 28


I really have not been knitting as much as I should be and the lack of a post last week reflects that. It's not due to not having time, or being tired. It's because I didn't knit a single stitch. Or buy any yarn. Or even look at any knitting related websites.

This week however, while I didn't knit a lot, I actually did stuff knitting related. I got the "I want a fresh pair of socks on my feet" bug and picked up the Circe socks. I'm working my way down the gusset. I still think the yarn is so deliciously soft! When I get the chance, I'm definitely adding more to my stash.


I've got a KAL that's going to start in a couple of weeks. The requirements? It has to be colour work mittens, by SpillyJane, and the yarn must be purchased from my LYS (yes, I have claimed it for my own). 

The pattern I selected is called Warm Woolen Mittens.


The yarn chosen is from The Fibre Co., colourway Tanzanite (Acadia) and Topaz (Road to China)


I question the colour reference for the yellow-ish colour called Topaz, since I have always believed the colour to fall in the blue-green section of the colour wheel.

Back to my LYS visit...
I went for opening on Friday when there was a snowstorm threatening which shows how determined I can be when it comes to yarn. I met the other owner for the first time. I bought the yarn and another set of 1US DPNs (I think I have an addiction), got the yarn wound, talked with other customers...you know, the social part of knitting. The owner asked for my name for the KAL, and told me she remembers me. I had never met this woman before that day, but she heard about me from the other owner. It's nice when the people who's shop you visit frequently remember you :)

18 comments:

  1. That is good service and lovely colours for the mittens - I can't wait to see them worked up. The socks are coming along nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colourwise, they are beautiful. I can't wait to see them knit together myself.

      Delete
  2. Love the colours you've chosen for the mittens and what great customer service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good customer service definitely means I'll be a repeat customer.

      Delete
  3. I am really looking forward to seeing those socks finished! The BAM! I. Your face yellow intrigues me and makes me a little envious... Don't know that I would be able to wear such in-your-face socks... Mind you I do have a couple conversation piece pairs... They just aren't one solid colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's safe to have a bright and solid yellow pair of socks. They go in shoes and no one has to see them unless you want them to. Mind you, I'm also known to wear them with a church outfit and dress shoes...but that's only to get to the destination.

      Delete
  4. It's great when you have that welcoming feeling at your LYS. I'm interested in seeing how those mittens turn out in those colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to provide pictures next week. Still not ready to show off my 5 row progress.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's good service! Feels more like supporting a friend that way and sure makes me visit more often an buy more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I feel like I'm visiting friends who just happen to see the yarn on the wall.

      Delete
  6. It's fun how you go for color. And yes, I agree, it's very nice when the LYS staff remember you and know you by name. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright colours are fun on your feet. Anywhere else and I may fight you.

      Delete
  7. Wow that's a gorgeous pattern! I bet they're really warm too with stranded colourwork filling the main part of the hand. Your colour choices are awesome. Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throw in the cashmere and I think camel somewhere in the yarn, should be downright toasty.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow-- I am jealous that you can do color work and your colors are going to be smashing together. I can't wait to see them as you progress. Your lys sounds lovely and I enjoy the fact that the workers in my lys remember my name when I come in too. There is a social part of knitting and it helps when yarn shops do their part to foster that social part.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why LYS's are great and I'd rather support them than a big box store where you get forgotten by the time you walk out the door. I love talking to other knitters and especially since I haven't been able to go to my usual knitting circles, I'm happy I was able to connect with them.

      Delete
  9. I love the socks and I'm working on a pair now also along with having "cast-on" fever. What was the yarn you used for the socks? The mittens are going to be gorgeous in those colors. Color work is something I would like to master but not right now. Is it difficult? Wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the socks, it's Anzula Squishy. I never tried it until the LYS owner put it in my hand and said "Try it!"

      I am definitely no where close to a master of doing colourwork. I don't think it's too difficult to pick up and if you've ever made those friendship bracelets with embroidery thread, it really helps...or at least it did for me for figuring out to change the colours.

      Delete