Sunday 19 January 2014

Year of Projects: Week 30


Week 30 is here! Doesn't seem like I've been doing this endevour that long :)

I have had a good knitting related week. I worked on 2 projects, received an item I ordered and ordered something new.  Let start with the "just received" order.

I have had a love for containers for as long as I can remember (the only thing that really precedes it is my love of stationary). I like jars and vases and boxes and bags. When I started knitting, I started looking for bags to put them in. I bought a few that I liked. While I was looking around on Etsy (my place to online shop for unique things), I discovered a shop called "Knitterbag". I wanted to buy immediately but that was around the time that I had lost my job and I decided I should at the very least try to be reasonable with my money.

A couple of weeks ago, I went on the Etsy app and looked through all the stuff I had sitting in shopping carts (just waiting for me to click purchase). I found one of the style of bags I had liked from way back when was on sale. I had some money so I purchased it and promptly forgot all about it.

Friday night, Canada Post shows up at my house asking for me to sign for a package. As soon as I saw where it was from, I knew what it was. So after that long history lesson, let me introduce you to my new knitting bag.


Ain't it pretty? It's sewn by Jurgita, owner of KnitterBag on Etsy. It's a sturdy linen that I hope I can keep clean. The coolest thing about it to me is the inside.


It comes with 4 compartments. Right now I've got 2 balls of yarn and my stitch marker container in the pockets, the project and the pattern. I'm already planning on buying 2 more of this size for my sock sized projects.

Onto the projects now...
Remember the Warm Woolen Mittens I was talking about from last week? I had to frog it and start again after I tried the cuff, which was only half way done, on. It was too big so I sized down the needles and started again. I am very pleased with my progress.


The only reason I stopped working on this project was because I was finally able to print out the test pattern. First of all, this yarn is deliciously soft! I want more of it in my stash for a multitude of possible projects, like this one:


So I can have it match with my "soon-to-be-done" mittens...which reminds me, I need to find out the yardage so I can get the amount of yarn I need.  Only changes I suggest for anyone doing the Warm Woolen Mittens is to go for a smaller needle size for the cuff.

Question: Does fingering weight held double, make it to worsted?  If not, what does?

Next project! The test project for Econnerd.


It's a cowl scarf and I am liking it so far.  I was hesitant with choosing which yarn to use because I didn't want the pattern of the lace to disappear in the yarn  So I went with Knitpicks Stroll in the colourway Butternut.  I'm pretty certain it's not the best choice of colour for me to wear it.  But it'll do for a test.

And before I forget!  I made my first Wollmeise order!  Direct from the website and not from someone else's destash.  I'm hoping to get it within a couple weeks.  I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it just yet.  I've already got enough projects to worry about without worrying about a skein of yarn I don't have in my hands yet.

18 comments:

  1. LOVE that bag ;)
    So glad it was a good mail week for you!
    Nice looking test pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew when other crafters would see the bag, they'd like it too!

      Delete
  2. What a good week. Mittens are looking great and will be lovely to have the matching cowl. The bag is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I just need to get the right yarn for it but looking online, it's like they don't have the colours in their worsted weights.

      I'm glad you like the bag as well :)

      Delete
  3. I think you could get a worsted gauge with fingering held double, but it might be a very drapey worsted, if you know what I mean? On the other hand, three strands and your fabric might be able to stand up on its own!

    Love the mitts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll find a solution. I may just have to resize it for a DK weight if needed.

      Delete
  4. The bag looks great! I'm on a shopping spree at the moment, need to make myself a priority list before I run out of money...

    What's the thing with Wollmeise? I've read lost of people being excited about it but never understood what's so special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only tell you why I like Wollmeise yarn. I find the colours to be quite vibrant and amazing. That wasn't enough to sell me on it yet. I got some mini skeins and knit those up first and I find it to be a resilient yarn. You get a lot of yarn for your dollar. The fingering weight skeins are 150g and it cost me roughly $33 including shipping from Germany to Canada.

      If you want to try it out, check out mini skein destashes on Ravelry and try it out for yourself.

      Delete
  5. The bag is great. I'll have to check out here site, as I love me some bags. So funny yoiunarer doing a test knit for econnerd, I've known her for years....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually, if we were face to face, this would be when I would start to sing "It's a small world after all".

      Delete
  6. The bag is awesome! I use totes I've gotten for free....no fashion diva here but I might make myself some pretty ones now that I have all these WIPs, lol! Your scarf/cowl is gorgeous. I had a very expensive month so there will be no new yarn, bags or anything for me right now but thanks for sharing yours....I can live vicariously through others for now. Also, the mittens are great...love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashion Diva? I'm no fashion diva but I do like bags and shoes in general. I don't have enough of those totes to really use and since socks are so much smaller than just about everything else, they'd get lost in them. I decided to compromise.

      Get the bags another month, when it's no longer a very expensive month.

      Delete
  7. Such a great bag! I am a sucker for all things baggish.You mitts are looking great --and your test knit? Beautiful! And I would wear that color!
    Have a wonderful week....
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All things baggish! I love that term! I'm more worried how that colour would look against my skintone,

      Delete
  8. Ohhh pretty bag, I love it, I'll need to investigate further. The mittens look great and having a cowl to match will set each of them off perfect. Great test knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they'd look great together too. And do look into the bags.

      Delete
  9. Lovely bag. My youngest bonus daughter bought a bag and decorated it for me for Christmas. It has some compartments so it will be useful. Of course, one can never have too many project bags...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet! I'd love to see how her finished product turned out

      Delete