Thursday 22 July 2010

Drabble #004

Universe: Chronicles
Characters: primarily Neil Summers and Pastor Alexis Walters
Idea:
Neil finished filling up his cup of juice to accompany his plate of lunch from the weekly lunch buffet. He quickly located his friend and Pastor, Alexis Walters sitting with Chelsea Sutton, Linden and his wife Callie, and Neil's little sister Mona. He made his way to the table, always stopping to say 'hi'.
"Pastor," said Neil. Alexis up at Neil oddly. "Can I talk to you privately?"
"Sure, umm, let's go to my office," said Alexis uncertainly. He had only been a pastor officially for a month and was still adjusting to the title and the responsibilities that went along with it.
=^=
Alexis balanced his plate in one hand while fumbling to find the proper key for his office.
"Come-in," said Alexis as he opened the door and flipped on the light. "Is this a social thing or an official thing?"
"What difference would that make?" asked Neil.
"It tells me what side of the desk I should sit on."
"Sit at your desk," said Neil. "As a pastor you always need to give the perception of authority in your own office, even if the other person is an old friend."
Alexis sat down behind his desk. "What can I help you with?"
"Figuring out what to do next," said Neil. "I know that based on what I tell you, you'll have to tell the board."
"What happened?" asked Alexis.
"Adultery, living with a woman, considering marrying the woman who's not a christian..."
"Wait a minute. The only other person I could consider you marrying is Judy," said Alexis as he finally understood what Neil was telling him. "Does Chelsea know?"
"The two of them are as thick as thieves and they tell each other everything."
"Chelsea is on the board and if she were aware of this situation beforehand and didn't inform the board she be in for a world of trouble," said Alexis.
"You have a better chance of getting that kind of info than me," said Neil. "I could technically sweep the entire thing under the rug as long as either I or Judy and Abby move out but she needs the help and she trusts me. Besides, what kind of friend would I be if I didn't help her? I guess this is more of a request to be suspended of my membership than anything else. I have no intention of having sex with her again, unless we get married. We'll be purely platonic."
"At the very least, be honest with yourself," said Alexis. "I know this is not a Christian-like response but I have watched the 2 of you dance around each other since you were teenagers. I saw how upset you were when she introduced Asif as her fiance. And frankly, you settled for Danielle. Your heart was never there in the first place. How you made it to 2 years is beyond me. So if you're not going to be honest with me than at least be honest with yourself and with God. Don't tell me the two of you will just be platonic. I know what your going through. I go through the same problems with Chelsea and I know if it were Chelsea and I and she had even a modicum amount of attraction for me as Judy has for you, it would only be only be platonic for as long as it would take to get somewhere private. Hurry up and get out of this situation. I'm pretty sure her mom would take her in. She has 8 siblings and 5 of them can take her in. By the end of the week, I expect for you to find a permanent solution to your living arrangement. As for the rest of what's going on, I will have to inform the board and they are going to want the suspension along with a letter of explanation. And the church will have to be informed."
"Do I have a chance to say anything to the church?" asked Neil.
"If you want to you can however that will most likely not work in your favour when it comes to opinion. I suggest you tell your close friends and families. I wouldn't want. Your parents hearing about it from me in front of everyone else."
"Can we make a stop before I take you home?" asked Alexis.
"As long as you take me over to Casey's instead. I got some clothes at his place and I can change before our date. He's taking me out for dinner at Harlem," said Chelsea with a smile, not noticing Alexis clenching his jaw.
"What time do you need to be there for?" asked Alexis, wishing things could be otherwise.
"Seven should be good. I wonder if I have an extra rag at Casey's."
"Let's go to Cafe Audrey and I'll buy you a mocha frapaccino with a ginger biscotti," said Alexis trying to divert the conversation.
"You sure know how to get a lady's attention," said Chelsea with a smile.
Chelsea smiled as Alexis placed her drink and biscotti before her.
"Thank-you," she said before she took a sip. Alexis was completely mesmerised by her.
"I need to ask you some questions, regarding Judy," said Alexis, trying to keep his mind focused.
"Like what? What does she have to do with anything?" asked Chelsea defensively.
"She does have something to do with a new issue at church. What I need to know is what you know.". Chelsea diverted her eyes, looking over his shoulder. "Chelsea, look me in the eyes and tell me you knew nothing about this!"
Chelsea stayed silent for a long time. Alexis had the answer but it was one he didn't want to be the truth. "'Thou shalt not bear false witness', right? This is my sister. She has nothing to do with our church issues. I have only talked to her, not Neil. As far as I'm concerned, since Neil has not said anything to me nor have I even seen her at his house since she got beaten up by her soon to be ex-husband, there is nothing to be said. Besides she's just his new roomate."
"He's slept with her already Chelsea," said Alexis in a quiet but powerful voice.
"And that I didn't know." Chelsea rested her head in her hands. "Neil told you all this? Why?"
"Because he knows he will get in serious trouble with the church when it comes out."
"It's not like he's on the board or anything more than a member at large," said Chelsea.
"This code of conduct applies to all Christians, not just a chosen few and by you not saying anything, you can get kicked off the board for not being forthcoming with the knowledge you have."
"I'm only on the board because I'm on the leadership team dealing with the youth, not because I was voted on it."
"You can be so frustrating sometimes," growled Alexis.
"But you love me anyways, right?" said Chelsea trying to make Alexis chuckle, even if it was just a bit.
"Something will never change Chels," said Alexis. "You can't treat me the same way you always have. I'm not just your buddy anymore-"
"You're my best friend," interrupted Chelsea. ~ This girl can be so dense sometimes ~ thought Alexis.
"I'm also your Pastor now," finished Alexis.
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

No comments:

Post a Comment