Thursday 7 November 2013

Day 3 of 30 Day Knitting Challenge

<<DAY 2
Day 3: Do you have any other WIPs (works in progress)?

I have way more WIPs than I really need to have.  Some of them I don't feel any kind of compulsion to finish either.  I actually went and pulled out everything from their hiding places just to see what I had going on.  Let's start with the oldest projects.

The Annisette Cardi


I was so excited to be start on my first project beyond accessories.  We were doing a Knit-a-Long at the Knitting Circle and we all made our order through Knit Picks.  I immediately went on vacation to New York.  I couldn't even wait until I got back to cast on.  I made excellent progress on it despite the fact that the interchangeable needles were bending in my hands.  I made a note to not use nickel plated needles again.  I finished the back and I must say, it is utter perfection.  I started on the front left panel and things started to fall apart.  I got so frustrated with the needles that I couldn't even make it pass the ribbing.  I decided to wait until the ChiaoGoo interchangeable needles arrived before I continued on the cardigan.  I don't know how I got distracted but I knitted when I should have purled and ended up with a ridge somewhere in the bust area.  Where things really went to hell in a hand basket was in the decreases.  I had never done them before and I don't know where I went wrong but it really became evident when I reached the same area for the right panel.  I then lost the pattern with all of my notes. I guestimated for the sleeves and I'm pretty sure I did them wrong.  Everytime I look at this thing, I just want to throw it out.  I have been thinking to just unravel it instead and try this again with a different yarn and with more attention paid.

The Shapely Boyfriend

I was listening to the Stash and Burn Podcast.  One of the hosts was talking about her Shapely Boyfriend Cardigan and I of course, went looking on Ravelry for the pattern.  I carefully planned the yarn I wanted and got it sent to my house.  I had chosen Cascade 220 in grey and black plus 2 skeins of Lorna's Laces worsted weight in Black Purl at later date.  I put aside the needles, a printed copy of the pattern and the yarn in a bag and waited until April when I casted on.  I was able to knit directly from the balls for the Cascade 220.  I had to cake the Lorna's Laces yarn in order to use it.And then I noticed a problem. The Cascade 220 was a lot thinner than the Lorna's Laces Worsted.  I double checked the label to make sure I didn't order the wrong thing.  They both said worsted weight.  I looked on Ravelry and the listing said worsted weight as well.  Being thoroughly confused, I went looking through the commentary and found out that it seems to be common knowledge that Cascade 220 is much closer to a DK weight than a worsted weight.  I have no idea if this thing will fit like I thought it would but I don't care, I like it and I will finish it.

I still have to finish the ribbing and then do the sleeves.  I was thinking about doing the neckline and the button panel in black.  I'm pretty sure I'll have enough yarn if I keep the sleeves in just grey.

The Stitch Surfer
I don't know what I'm gong to do with these socks.  I love the pattern.  I enjoyed knitting socks.  However since I didn't do toe up socks before, I had issues. You can clearly tell that I could not cast on correcting.  I also didn't know the proper bind off either so I can't even try the sock on.  I don't feel inspired to do anything to finish this pair so I'm probably not going back to it and will do a Stitch Surfer pair in a completely different  yarn.

The Dark Isle
These should have been posted yesterday with the first WIP post however, I just started working on it again late last night.  The yarn I'm using is from Springtree Road in Muscadine, colourway Dusk and the other colour is dyed by me.  I'll be happy to have this one done.  I don't know if I'll redo this pattern again.

Slide
I was attempting to do the Slide socks 2aat.  It didn't turn out well.  I don't know why I still have needles and stitch markers attached to the yarn.

Basically Perfect Baby Socks

I had knit these socks for my friend's son.  Didn't finish them.  Okay, I can give them to another friend's daughter.  Didn't happen.  So...yeah...at least I found the 2US DPNs I was looking for.

Anklet #1
 
The intention was to have a bunch of anklet socks knitted for myself.  I love the yellow yarn that I'm using however, I got it from the leftovers of someone else's stash.  There wasn't enough to do one sock.  So I paired it with another machine washable yarn.  The blue yarn is horrendous and doesn't feel nice at all.  I'd rather rip everything out and use the yellow yarn in my sock yarn blankie and throw out the blue stuff.

ZigZag Scarf
I forgot I even had this one.  I was trying something out and it wasn't working.  I really should just put everything away.


Hitchhiker
I am no where close to giving up on this one.  This is a birthday gift for a cousin who has already seen it but doesn't know it's for her.  I have about a month to finish it up but I haven't touched it in like a month.  Got to get going on that.  I do love the colour combinations and I'm wanting to make another one, with a gradient yarn again.

Irish Hitchhiker Hat (again)
I have already made on Irish Hitchhiker Hat which I gifted to my brother.  This one is supposed to be for charity knitting.  I have not made it past this part at all for the past month or so.  I only have until the first week of December and I have to get going on that.

And now for the labour of love...Sock Blankie!

This Blankie has been a labour of love.  I don't work on it all the time but I do love to see it grow.  Finishing a pair of socks means that I have more yarn to put towards the Blankie.  I want it to be big enough to fit a Queen sized bed, which I have.  It's currently wide enough to do so but it's got a long way to go on the length.  I'm currently evening out everything and adding the necessary black triangles (which are very hard to do for the bottom.  I am trying to get to 250 squares by July 1, 2014.  I have about 130 squares right now.

DAY 4>>

No comments:

Post a Comment