Sunday 14 July 2013

Year of Projects: Week 3

The "photo-shoot" is finally done. What did I learn from this experience? Check out my bags of WIPs. I really need to finish some more projects before I start with anything else.

(Neatly put together)



(The hidden explosion of projects)


The Bex
Started October 1, 2012.  I had to battle with this yarn; not while knitting but when trying to wind the skein into a cake.  I ended up with so much yarn barf that I looked at it in disgust and left for New Jersey to visit family.  Those 2 balls you see is what I have remaining.  I hope it's enough to finish the 2nd sock.

The Stitch Surfer:
Started on November 30, 2012.  The only reason I stopped was because I had never finished a toe up sock before and was not grasping how to bind off.  Suffice it to say, it's doesn't make it past my foot, much less my leg.  T suggested that I just unpick the bind off and redo it...talk about a "duh" moment.

The Dark Isle:
Started March 17, 2013.  I specifically dyed the yarn for these socks...well not all of it, just the gradient yarn.  I think it turned out pretty good.  I just have to find the time (and get my 2US needles free again) to finish them.  I don't think it will take too long.

Forget Hermione! These are for me
Started April 12, 2013.  I started these as a dye challenge.  It was supposed to be dye and knit a project in a month.  I was doing so well! And then I broke not 1 but 2 of my DPNs.  I started going on the circular needles and I was not enjoying the process.  I lovingly bagged up the project and said "forget it" until I could get some DPNs.  Now I have them (as seen in the above picture) and I don't have the time right now.  I want them done by the fall so I can wear them.

Basically Perfect Baby Socks
Started May 21, 2013.  This should have been a quick project.  I finished the first sock within a couple days and the other one is still on the needles (the 2US needles that I need to get free to do the Dark Isle socks).  I can get it done but I think it's the boredom of stockinette (and laziness) that keeps me from doing it.

Shapely Boyfriend Cardigan
Started April 2, 2013.  I had been making good progress on this cardigan.  I am at the waist shaping and I want to continue however the call of the Cookie Socks is a bit stronger. I was hoping to have this done in for the fall but I think I'm going to have to be a bit more realistic on the time constraints.

Anklet #1
Started May 30, 2013.  I'm pretty certain these will be cute when finished.  I already started decreasing for the toe.  I'll like to have the mismatched pair finished soon mostly due to the fact that I don't like the yarn that is being used for the cuff, heel and toe.

Tiberius
Started June 18, 2013. Love the look of these socks but there's not rush on these ones.  That's pretty much it for now.  How much writing is expected for ribbing?

...fascinating
Started June 10, 2013.  Yes!  I finished the first sock and I'm just past the ribbing on the second sock.  I want these done ASAP.  I want a new pair to wear, despite the fact I have barely worn the Pirouette and Tulip socks that I finished less than 2 months ago.  They are so squishy and soft and pretty :D  By the way, I am a convert to Tanis yarn now that I've finally knitted with 1 of my 3 skeins.

Blankie

Started July 13, 2012.  Wow! It's been just over a year and look at how big it's gotten! As of the time of typing this update, there is 107.5 squares and by the time I finish this knitting year, I want to be at 250 squares.  Note: I am so short that even when standing on a chair, I still couldn't get the entire thing in one picture.

Now onto the forgotten projects.

Slide Socks
You can already see that one of the socks is off the needles.  I was trying to do these socks 2 at a time and I was not successful.  I will make these socks out of this yarn but I think I'm going to try winding them into balls and working on each sock seperately.

Anisette Cardigan
As I have mentioned before, the back is utter perfection...but I just don't think I really want the cardigan out of this yarn and it would be nice if the sleeves were the correct size.  I'd rather just toss out the whole thing and make it again from a different kind of yarn.  Nothing wrong with the pattern.  It's lovely but I'm just not liking this project.  I just want to know what I can do with this yarn.

28 comments:

  1. Your socks look amazing! Love the colours. Especially the green one! What is the name if the yarn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm unsure which green ones you mean though. For the Bex, it's from Sweet Georgia, Tough Love in the colourway Pistachio. For the Baby Socks, it's Knit Picks Stroll Tonal in the colourway Springtime.

      Delete
  2. I was going to comment on your colours, but then I went back and found that I liked pretty much all of your colours!! The blanket looks to be coming along nicely - although looks a bit painstaking for my terrible needlework skills! Yours looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Believe me, I have to needlework skills.

      Delete
  3. As I scrolled through your post I kept thinking I like that yarn and those socks and must comment on those but now the list is to long to comment indivually. Love them all suffice to say !! As someone who's taken on the madness of 26 pairs in the year I'm on the look out for sock patterns, have enough for the moment to keep me going but will run out of ideas before the year's out so your projects have come up with lots I like thank you :) Also as I scrolled through your post couldn't help but notice how lovely your tablecloth is, very pretty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running out of ideas for socks?! Perish the thought! My queue in Ravelry for socks is ridiculously long and I have barely touched it. There are so many techniques to try; lace, cable, colourwork, starting a sock from the heel! One of these years, I should spend it going the queue and knitting the socks from there...when the stash grows.

      I'll let my mom know you like her tablecloth :)

      Delete
  4. You have a lot of beautiful projects such I'd have a hard time choosing what to work on next! Best of luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The decision making is hard. I've only decided that after the current pair comes the Tiberius socks. I got no idea what will come next.

      Delete
  5. Another sock yarn blanket knitter!!!! Do you think it contributes to how many pairs of socks you have on the needles? I love finishing a pair and being able to add the left overs to my own blanket.

    PS. I can't seem to post a comment using the wordpress option. I'm at Whendidibecomeaknitter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty certain since the start of the Blankie, there has been an increase in the amount of socks I end up working on at a time. That plus the "needing" a drawer full of hand knitted socks.

      Delete
  6. Wow ... that's a LOT of WIPs! But they look very organized. I'm really enjoying your project naming; I'm afraid I don't put much creativity in that. As for your Bex socks, if you have a kitchen scale, you should be able to figure out pretty quickly if you have enough yarn. If sock one weighs less than the yarn for sock two, then you're okay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are only as organized as the number of ziplock bags I can get my hands on. I just have to remember to put the pattern in the bag with it.

      I didn't even think of the kitchen scale to weigh the Bex. I'll definitely get on that.

      Delete
  7. I love all your projects; the yarns, patterns and your project bags! The blanket is a work of art! I have lots of WIP's too....now I don't feel so bad! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I think I need to get better project bags. But that could just be that I saw some Jessalou (I think) project bags that I like. And at least, the number of WIPs I have can make someone feel better.

      Delete
  8. At one point I had a lot of WIP's...then I joined a KAL where you made a commitment to finish or frog all WIP's... it was the only way I got through them all.. I am very impressed by yours and your project bags are fun.. and the sock yarn blanket..WOW..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that idea. I should probably use it for this knitting year; if I don't finish my current WIPs, frog it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lovely shade of blue! Too bad you hate the sweater, but it would probably work really well in another pattern! That color is too good to let it languish in a sweater you don't like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour is not the issue. I love it, I just don't like the feel of the yarn. If I try it again, I'll stick to the same colour but a different yarn.

      Delete
  11. Lovely projects, all! You were a brave women, dragging them all out and sharing them with us! Mine stay hidden and I live in denial. :)
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's therapeutic! At least I know what I have and now I know where to find it. And knowing is half the battle.

      Delete
  12. I am love with ALL OF IT! Your socks are awesome... for toe-up I swear by a 'super stretchy' bind off... go here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abBhe-JYmgI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to check out the video. I think it's the same bindoff they recommended on the pattern.

      Delete
  13. I love the Stitch Surfer! Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cool, aren't they?!

      Delete
    2. They are fantastic. I want the pattern! Toe-up socks still intimidate the heck out of me though. I'm also loving the blankie. Way more awesome than the baby blanket I'm working on right now.

      Delete
  14. You are very adventurous when it comes to sock patterns. I really like how you go for it and don't take the easy way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, as long as I have the needles, the yarn and the interest, I'll do it.

      Delete
  15. Phewf, that is a lot of projects! But I bet you can get them all done! Love The Stitch Surfer, it's a great pattern and I love the colours. I'm going to assume you know about Jen's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off now, so you wouldn't have that problem! And that blanket is just amazing, I can't wait to see it with even more squares

    ReplyDelete