Sunday 28 July 2013

Year of Projects: Week 5



117! Woot-woot! That's how many squares I have in total on my Blankie! Plus a few triangles for the sides :)

(Thank you to cousin Khadija for standing on a table to get the Blankie in its entirety)

My-! Look at how the right side has grown! I think at this point, I'm going to join the parts I have (which will make the total 119) and that will begin making this project no longer portable.

I picked up another WIP, the Shapely boyfriend. I still have a ways to go but the fact that I picked it up after almost 3 months of inactivity is good. There is no picture of it for this week since I am not at home and haven't taken a recent picture. This will definitely be travelling with me when I go to my best friend's house this week.

No additional work has been done on any socks so those are in the same state they were in last week. I will be taking the Spock Socks with me.

 I think I will be limiting myself to 2 projects a week to work in.

Just some thinking I have been thinking on the construction of the Petal Blanket that I am going to be donating to my church in a couple of years. I believe I have narrowed down my yarn choices to Knit Picks Brava in Acrylic, due to already having some unused in my stash and not having to really worry about dye lots (or at least I hope that's the case). The colour I have is Tidepool in worsted, I think (and after checking my order email from last year, yes that is the colour). Brava is soft enough and should be durable (due to it being acrylic). Whenever I can get around to making another order, it will be for that and Black Stroll sock yarn for the Blankie.

18 comments:

  1. I have used Brava, actually hooked with it. It's super soft and comes out lovely. This blanket is like stained glass art in the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been a big fan of acrylic myself but the free skein I had obtained last year definitely changed my mind. I am sure it will be my go-to acrylic yarn when needed.

      My cousins agree on the "stained glass" effect.

      Delete
  2. I just love how blankie is coming along, it really is like stained glass !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a hard time putting it down, much to the dismay of my other projects that I have to work on.

      Delete
  3. Your sock yarn blanket is lovely. And how kind of your cousin to climb up to give us the full aerial view :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I thanked cousin K profusely when I saw the picture. She is such a sweet girl.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that blanket is huge! And so pretty :) I wish we could get Knit Picks yarn here in Sweden, but so far I've had no luck finding a supplier. They seem to have a lot of interesting yarns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on the supplier hunt. If you're on Ravelry, you could always see if you can get some Knit Picks yarn on destash. I don't know how financially viable that would be though.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the blanket is looking great, I'm sure it wasn't nearly that big last time I saw it... Looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous looking blankie, I'd never make any progress I'd be too busy worrying about the size of my squares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no size worrying with this Blankie. When you're down to one stitch, you're done! Time to move onto the next square :)

      Delete
  7. Boy howdy those sock yarn blankets take a long time! Look at all the work you've done! It's looking great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's one of those projects that I'll work on furiously for a week or 2 and then not work on it for a month so when it does get worked on quite a bit gets added.

      Delete
  8. wow that is amazing progress on your blanket, it's really pretty - you must have a lot of patience!!! Have a knitty weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been working in it for just over a year and it's all based on whether or not I feel like working on it. I only work on it when I want to and never more than that.

      Delete