Tuesday 14 August 2012

Sock and Yarn Love!

While looking through my sock stash, I realized that I really want to knit more socks once I'm finished my current projects, which are making somewhat progress.

This list by no means a guarantee of what exactly will be done but just a way to track what I want to do with certain skeins of yarn.

Let's have a look at the skeins we're working with:


3 skeins of Tanis Fiber Arts, Blue Label. I have never used this yarn before but it was recommended to me by the person who taught me to knit socks. It's Canadian owned so it makes me feel a little bit more patriotic to own it. The skeins feel nice and kinda fluffy which I hope translates to squishy socks. These ones are a merino/nylon blend. If I like these when they're knitted up, I'll venture to one of the higher lines that contain either silk and/or cashmere.



These skeins are from Springtree Road, which right now are absolutely loved for the Muscadine line. It's another merino/nylon blend and I used a skein of it in Red Delicious to make my much loved BFF socks. The stitch definition is beautiful and the yarn feels lovely as I knit with it. I cannot wait to knit socks with my other 4 skeins I have. The extra skein, the purple one is another line Springtree Road carries called Julep. The difference I believe is some silk has been added. Don't quote me on it, I don't have the skeins on me right now.







This skein is by Indigodragonfly and the colour is called Groverkilled. First of all, the name is simply hilarious. Grover is one of my favourite Muppets and I LOVE me some muppets. I like everything I've experienced from Indigodragonfly, which as of yet doesn't come to much. I came by his dyer in Ravelry. It's another Canadian (yay for patriotism) and apparently she and I are In a lot of the same fandoms: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, just about anything by Whedon... I adore the quirky side of her mind that comes up with the names for her yarns and I am looking forward to knitting with this one.






Cascade Heritage Silk. This one is my first "higher end" sock yarn from a big company. I picked this one up from Romni Wools when they had their Boxing Day sale last year. It feels so soft in the skein and I used a little for one of my squares on my Blankie. It knits up so nicely and feels so soft that I can't wait to knit socks out of it.










The yarn that's missing is my 2 skeins of Wollmeise Twin 80/20 in a colour called Naza Boncugu. It's a light blur solid and they are on the way to my house right now. This is the yarn that started this whole process. I have a special project in mind for this one which will make them most expensive socks I will own.

Now onto the socks I "plan" to knit. I figured taking the pictures and actually putting a name on it would make it easier to understand.


First off, Lissajous. I have always like the concept of knee high socks, especially when I stated knitting socks. When I was flipping through my book, I had already purchased 1 skein of the Naza Boncogu. After calculating the yardage I would require, I just went to the Wollmeise Anonymous group on Ravelry and put in an ISO request. With 20 mins someone pm'd me and I was sending the payment through.








The Kai-Mei's have been my dream socks since I saw them in the book. And I knew I wasn't going to use any old yarn to make them. I think I decided on my Springtree Road's Framboise for this pair. I think it would be easier to do the leg work 2aat, and then split for the heel flap on wards.












The Rick I have been wanting I do since last year, and I started on them with a lovely Stroll Tonal Yarn from Knitpicks called Golden Glow. I started knitting, immediately falling in love with the stitches.  I tried them on once I finished the heel flap.  It was a bit of a struggle but that's okay, they'd stretch a bit and then fit perfectly.  And then I reached 1/4 of the way down the foot and couldn't figure out for the life of me why the foot looked like it was twisting.  I went searching on Ravelry no one else seemed to have had that problem.  Went to my knitting circle to see if anyone could figure out the problem.  Still nothing.  I stared at it a bit longer and I said forget it.  I put it aside and decided I would get back to it later.  My "getting back to it later" later involved me frogging the project.  It wasn't until a good few months later, while flipping through the book that I realized there was a different pattern chart for the feet (insert anime head with the tear falling over it's head).  Now that I know what I'm doing, the sock is going to get an upgrade in the yarn and another attempt at getting it finished.

What caught my eye with the Rhombus pattern was the circular design.  It reminded me of a cake I had helped my mother with earlier on in the summer.  I cannot bake if my life depended on it unless it's a chicken but apparently I do have a canny eye for understanding how a design is put together.  Because of this, my mother called me out of my comfortable room where I was probably knitting her shawl while watching "Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" (which obviously are no longer new) to help her figure out the pattern.  Next thing I know, I'm busy working with a cookie cutter and roll fondant to decorate my cousin's wedding cake
All of the following socks, I don't have a special reason for them other than the fact I thought they looked pretty, either by the diagonal design or the lacework design

      

No comments:

Post a Comment