Thursday 28 March 2013

Crazy ways of building your stash

My yarn stash is shrinking. I've used, or partially used 3 skeins from my stash plus a skein from the sock club in the past 2 months. That was made into 2.5 pairs of socks in less than 2 months and 12 full skeins of sock yarn that I haven't dyed myself.

What has this made me realize? This year is still a "no buy sock yarn" year. I may purchase a skein of DK weight of Tanis and that should be all for the year. Next year, instead of purchasing sock yarn so to speak, I think I'll join an extra yarn for the year. I'm thinking about joining the Tanis Year in Colour for 2014, along with the Cookie A Sock Club 2014. That way, every month is get a skein of yarn. And I'll have more sock yarn to add to the Blankie later.

Of course I don't have the money for this venture but that's what saving money is for. The goal is $500ish for the end of the year. Other than needle purchases (I'm starting to look at Signature DPNs because I'm crazy like that), a book purchase, undyed yarn and 1 Knitpicks purchase of Stroll Yarn in Black, that should be it for knitting purchases.

Onto the Blankie update...

I added a corner and did another triangle. I line the results but I have to find another cast-on method other than the long tail cast on (LTCO) or the backward thumb cast in. It's too hard to pick up stitches with the LTCO but the backward thumb doesn't look too hot. I don't know any other cast on so this means YouTube cast on research required.

This is the Blankie in its entirety so far. I had to pull it out at the library, where Knitting Circle #2 is located, and put it on the table to get it all in the pic so far. I still have 5 or so starter squares to do before it has a chance of being wide enough for my queen size bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment