Sunday 27 October 2013

Year of Projects: Week 18


Something is finished :)

A mark of a True Canadian; Tim Horton's Cup to display with the mittens

It still needs a bit of neatening up by I consider it finito! And just in time for this cold fall weather. I still need the matching hat but we'll see when that gets on the needles.

The Daybreak shawl is coming along very well. I am loving it more and more woh every stitch and it's taking longer and longer to do it with every stitch. I will finish it very soon.


I can't take a decent full picture because I can't stretch it out properly without it coming off the needles. Every time I look at it, I really want to knit a sweater with the Chris grey colourway. Next year I'll do it.

On Friday, I got a new book: Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitter's Almanac. I was wanting to find which of her books had the percentage system for sweaters and I found it in this book, along with the Pi Shawl pattern which I have been interested in trying out.  I'm thinking that the Pi Shawl can be another 1 year project as in we start it next year.  If anyone is interested in doing an informal KAL for it, let me know.

On said Friday, I also purchased another skein of yarn.  This time it was the Anzula Squishy, which I had purchased the last time I went to Handknit Yarn Studios in Hamilton.  This time, I got the colourway Ducky which immediately reminded me of Phineas and Ferb's Ducky Momo. 


This one is destined to be a pair of socks, specifically the Circe socks from the sock club.  I am actually starting to feel the urge to knit another pair of socks; actually 2 pairs since I also want to knit the Vamp socks in the Sweet Georgia Cashluxe Fine in Blood Orange from the previous shipment.  It's been awhile since I've felt this but I have to free up some needles or cheat and buy another pair of 1US DPNs.  I guess the next thing to finish the Istanbul socks so the needles are available again.

I don't remember if I mentioned this last week but the youngest brother, Thaniel, asked for a scarf for his birthday.  I didn't want to make the same one for him as I did for RJ so went ona  hunt and lucky for me, in the same book by Stephen West that had the Chadwick, there was the Meadowbrook Scarf; a very manly looking scarf (because something tells me the soon to be 11-year old would not appreciate a shawl, no matter how manly the colours would be.


I'm going for an all acrylic scarf, just like RJ's scarf since I need to see how well they'll take care of it first.  I had better get started on it real soon since I have exactly 1 month to do it.  Good thing it won't be as long as the one in the picture.

20 comments:

  1. Your mittens are looking great and I really love the Daybreak shawl. Socks in the ducky colour are going to be fab and I love the scarf and I'm sure you will have it done in the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is coming along wonderfully. I'm actually surprised at how mindless it really is, which is great for watching tv.

      Delete
  2. Wow..lots of great projects! Those mittens are awesome! Love the daybreak..can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those mittens look amazingly warm and comfy! And I love the picture with the Tim Horton's cup. My parents moved to Calgary 2yrs ago (from Holland), and when I visited them they introduced me! Your daybreak shawl is coming along so pretty, you're a fast knitter! I think the scarf is very manly, I'm sure you'll finish in time, and that your brother will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they can send care packages of Tim Horton's products. I'm sure I'll finish the scarf with time to spare. Maybe he might get lucky like RJ and a hat will be given as well.

      Delete
  4. The mittens look lovely and cosy and Ducky is gorgeous, will make a lovely pair of socks. Daybreak is coming on a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me just tell you that the yarn is delicious! It feels so nice!

      Delete
  5. Those mittens are really cool! And the colour of that Ducky yarn is awesome and scary at the same time. Never been a big fan of yellow but it's so BRIGHT and yummy.
    Good find with the Meadowbrook scarf, I'm sure will turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright socks, especially in yellow are quite doable. I learned that with the Tiberius socks which have become one of my favorites due to colour.

      Delete
  6. Wow, so many beautiful finished objects and that yellow is wonderful. I love bright yellow these days -such an unexpected color. Those socks should be fun to knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find it at an LYS, try the Anzula Squishy. It feels really nice too.

      Delete
  7. The mittens are awesome! I have yet to knit any mittens except for a pair of felted oven mitts so I guess I have...in a way. Love the scarf with the cables and colors. The shawl is beautiful and that gray yarn is pretty! Good luck on the next scarf...I'm STILL working on mine...never again bulky yarn for a scarf or anything for that matter! LOL! Oh, and the sock yarn is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to get specific. Mittens are mittens are mittens :D I am going to have to check and see how much project you've made on your scarf. LOL!

      Delete
  8. The Daybreak shawl is so pretty and the finished mittens look lovely and cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Ooh, look at those mitts," was my reaction to the first pic. You did a spendid job. They look thick and warm and seem to have good movability in them. The banana skein is neon happiness and would make fun socks. Your brother's scarf is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Banana skein? LOL! That should be it's nickname :D

      Delete
  10. Wow you've been busy, the cables in your mittens are fantastic. The pattern you've chosen for the scarf looks awesome, and I agree ...manly!

    Sandy's Space YOP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The knitting bug has hit me fierce and I'm loving it.

      Delete