Thursday 26 September 2013

The tips made me do it!

I told myself I wasn't going to do it. I had too many other projects to do; like the scarf for my brother (finished! Just need to weave in the ends) and the Ladder to the Sky socks (I did work on it this week).

I went to the Tuesday Knitting Circle and Kathy, our lovely leader, brought up the idea of doing a craft show in December. She even went to the basement of the library, and brought up donated yarn that we could use. It was mostly acrylic yarn and nothing that felt like Brava. In the middle of the yarn was a full set of Knitpicks Options Needles with the Harmony tips. I have already been discontented with the Nickel tips and the idea of knitting with clear plastics creeps me out, for some strange reason. I know I had used the Harmony needles before, since I have a full set of DPNs.

I asked if I could borrow the tips and try them out. I pulled out a cakes skein of Cascade Heritage Silk sock yarn that I got a couple of years ago at a Boxing Day 25% off sale at Romni Wools. Let me just say the colour is gorgeous but back to the topic at hand - the needles. I casted on a few stitches and knit a few rows. I liked what was coming off of them and brought it home with me.

I managed to make it through 24 hours and started on the Irish Hiking Hat to go along with the scarf, like a good little knitter. I went all around downtown Toronto yesterday and came home late, utterly exhausted but not tired enough to sleep. I started going through the dishcloth cotton that I had picked up from the library and went searching for a dishcloth pattern on Ravelry.

The tips were staring at me through the clear bag they were sitting in beside the dishcloth cotton saying "use me! You know you want to!"

Next thing I know, I'm setting up my swift, caking the yarn and casting on for the "Earth and Sky" shawl. The only bonus about this project is because it requires 3 balls of yarn, it is not easily transportable. I'm keeping this project at home. I haven't even put it up on my Ravelry that I have started it.

I am really liking these tips so far. I have never used wooden circulars before but at the very least I can say they don't unscrew as quickly as the Nickel tips did. The only issue I really have with the tips is where the wood and the metal meet on the tip. 


I can feel the yarn getting caught there sometimes but not enough to stop me from using them. And thanks to these Harmony tips, I am liking the Knitpicks Interchangeables much more than I was before.

I am still brainstorming a good name for this project. "The Dragonfly of the Earth & Sky" seems to be calling to me.


I used the Dark Aoife (from Springtree Road) and the Teal (? - I swear there was no colourway name on the label) from Cascades. It also sounds like the potential name of a kids book.

No comments:

Post a Comment