Sunday 15 September 2013

Year of Projects: Week 12


Boy! Am I ever late with this one but I have a good excuse, I swear!  Last night I was (actually I still am as of writing this) in Hamilton. In the summer, they have these monthly festivals called "The Art Crawl". I have been hearing about these for ages and have always wanted to go but a of yet, every Friday it happens, I have choir practice and I can't attend. This month, they had a bigger festival called "The Super Crawl" to end the summer festivals and it went until Saturday night...the time I usually prepare my YOP update.

I was amazed with all the arts that I saw.  I wasn't aware that Hamilton was such a big artistic community.  It makes me wanting to move there seem so much better.  I have to show off some pictures of what I saw going on.

This is just one section of the people we saw while walking through.  This is before the shopping stalls and food trucks.  You can see 2 of the many, many cousins I have; in green and the other in blue,

This is made for poptabs and yarn.  A lady was crocheting them into bags.  What a great way to reuse what's around.

I am not fond of creepy looking dolls BUT I am loving the two dolls at the front.  I made sure I took a business card to look up her shop at a later date.

This man was painting this right when I took this picture.  I think it looks like it's pencil drawn so imagine how much work it took to get that done.

Apparently, they always have a "graffiti" wall (or more than one) at the Super Crawl.  On this fence people posted art work and wrote messages.

I think this was a decoupage art.  I thought it was painted at first.

I don't know who did this but I think it looks amazing.

There was even live music.  I believe this guy was playing "Heaven" by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.  This is actually one of my favourite jazz songs.
On to the actual update. This week, I worked on quite a few projects. I worked on the Irish Hiking Scarf for my brother and I completely missed my September 10th finishing date that I had planned for it. I worked on the Hitchhiker Scarf. I think it's almost half the length recommended. And lastly, I worked on the test pattern socks and I can show pictures of it (and you can also see why I "ooh" and "aww" over the colour of this yarn).

Irish Hiking Scarf
Hitchhiker Scarf

Test Socks - Ladder to the Sky

The fabulous Springtree Road Yarn, Muscadine in Framboise

The name for this pattern is Ladder to the Sky. It's designed by Econnerd on Ravelry. I only have one foot completed however, I am half way through the secon sock.  If I'm lucky (but I'm thinking its not going to happen), I can finish the pair on the 15th, (yes that is today) which is the deadline.

Over 12 hours later and a day of volunteering at a foodbank...
It ain't gonna be done in time.  Still on the gusset but I will finish these socks this week and I will be able to put up my 26 Pair Plunge banner for a 3rd time.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like fun - that street fair. I agree that squiggly sketch is totally amazing! Love your socks - looks like the second pair of this pattern I've seen today :) Good luck finishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know theferret in Ravelry was knitting them as well. Was it her?

      As for the squiggly line picture, I want to track down who did it and get a few of them, put em in a black frame and hang them in my wall.

      Delete
  2. Great progress on your projects. How fun to be part of a community that supports artistic passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And they like to share it too! I found sewing store around the corner from a yarn shop (Handknits), that offers lessons. I want to sign up so much

      Delete
  3. Great progress on the projects and those socks are great. Loved seeing all the street art pictures, thank you for showing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could track down all the artists that I saw so I can share them with others.

      Delete
  4. You're making lovely things, as usual :) I'm definitely bookmarking those socks for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of yet, the pattern has not been released but I will post a link when it does go up on Ravelry.

      Delete
    2. Karen (aka Econnerd) has posted her pattern on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ladders-to-the-sky-socks

      Delete
  5. The art fair looks great! Some really good things to see there. And I love the socks, so you didn't get them finished in time, but I think working at a food bank definitely trumps knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I figure too. At least I had one foot done and I could give an evaluation based on that.

      Delete
  6. The art fair looks great. I love the colour and pattern of the socks. And the Hitchhiker is coming along nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete