Sunday 30 June 2013

Come-a-long Update


This is a recap!

I cannot say that I have fully participated in this endeavour like it was meant to be. I didn't have a list of projects formalized (or otherwise) to do for the year. I didn't even do regular updates until about 2 months ago. 

I still do feel like I've accomplished a lot though, or at least for me. There have been some hits and some misses, some projects I have adored and others I have wanted to just rip back and say forget it.

So instead of doing a proper finishing update with all the bells and whistles, declaring that I have accomplished my list, I am going to share the projects that I have completed from July 2012 until now (please ignore the dates because my mind was clearly at a different place and time).

1) Wanida Socks by Cookie A.
2) Juniper Mitts
3) Lissajous Stockings by Cookie A.

4) Newton by Cookie A.
5) Pirouette by Cookie A.
6) Tulip by Cookie A.
7) Ernie by Cookie A.

I'm sort of learning to not make everything for myself. I made the Wanida socks for my Aunt. I gave away the Juniper Mitts (first attempt at fingerless gloves) to a woman who visited a food bank I volunteered at who's hands were cold. The Ernie socks were given to my Aunt who should feel very privileged that our feet are the same size.

Despite what I have learned for this year, I've decided I don't want to give away my socks. So I'm pretty much pledging that any further socks that are knit by me will be for me and me alone, with the exception of 1 outstanding pair that I have yet to finish and baby socks. Call me selfish but I want to build my sock stash.

I have accomplished quite a bit for this year and my goal for the next year is much bigger. 

No WIP list for this week.  More to come on that next week.

14 comments:

  1. Great collection of socks and I don't its selfish to keep all future pairs I'd say it will be toasty warm for your feet. Looking forward to next weeks big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS Socks! I love sock work although I have barely migrated out of the vanilla sock category :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never actually made plain vanilla socks before. My first socks were an oversized pair of Monkey socks by Cookie A. If you want to move onto more decorative socks, Cookie makes patterns very easy to follow, or at least she was to me. Come and join the madness!

      Delete
  3. I love how you're a Cookie A. fan. You've certainly showed how much more than I have. I think you are spot on for keeping your socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it that obvious that I'm a fan? It does seen to be the case that I mostly to Cookie socks and then throw in some other socks that have never been finished yet..,that really does seem bad.

      Delete
  4. I love the pattern for the green socks but I'm a sucker for the color blue. I totally know what you mean about making things for other people, sometimes I just see so many gorgeous patterns I want to hoard for myself. Congratulations on finishing so many things- never feel bad for not doing it the "right" way, we're all busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to start a selfish sock crew! I love the blue ones as well but it just took more work than originally anticipated (switching between 2 shades of blue every 4 rows). Going for solid the next time around.

      Delete
  5. Love the socks! And I agree, most sock I make (and all those in fancy yarn) are mine, all mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And someone else agrees with the "selfish sock collection".

      Delete
  6. Love the socks! I plan on making more this year. Who is Cookie A.? Is she on Ravelry? I'm not sure anyone other than a sock knitter would appreciate the work you put into making them so I would keep them to yourself! Gift them a dishcloth instead! LOL! Also, how do you get to "reply" to others comments? I want to do that but not sure where that feature is. But I'm on blogspot too so now I know I can do it! Looking forward to having you with us this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cookie A. is a knitting designer. She mostly does socks. (Ravelry Profile: http://www.ravelry.com/designers/cookie-a)..Yes, I'm keeping the socks for myself as planned therefore, I need to learn how to make dishcloths.

      Onto the replies: there are 2 sets of 'reply' links; one is right underneath the comment (it's at little indented to the right). The other is more to the left right underneath.

      Delete
  7. Knitting socks for myself is pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy. I tend to knit every sock to fit myself :) Even when I'm trying not to. I still give most of mine away... when you knit for charities there are often people with big feet like mine who need warmer feet. Still, if your sock drawer needs enhancement, then that's where your focus should be. Mine doesn't need any help!

    You've knit some lovely socks! As well as Cookie A., I highly recommend Nancy Bush (awesome wearable well-fitting socks). This year I'm trying 17 patterns of Socktopus from Alice Yu. We'll see as the year goes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wanting to get ahold of a copy of that book and branch out to other designers as well. I have seen some other finished socks from an Alice Yu design and have been intrigued. I think I may have a pattern or two by Nancy Bush (but with my memory as it is, I may actually have a book full of her patterns).

      Maybe on the next "Year of Projects", I'll do a knit through of a book.

      Delete