Thursday 30 May 2013

I know I like math but come on!


I found this ball of left over yarn in my stash that I think would be really nice to make a two-tone anklet out of. I pulled out a ziplock bag and re-wrote the pattern for the Anklet A Day on a cue card to fit into the bag. Since I've been doing the sock club socks, I'd like to use a smaller needle like a 1.5 or 1 US. That means I need to resize the pattern and there are no written alternatives.

The cuff part makes sense. The leg is no problem. The heel flap needed to be recalculated but it's completely doable. The problem is the turn heel. I am having a hard time calculating it. I think I may need to create some kind of spreadsheet to help me out later on or else try to do a different type of heel entirely.

I am only sort of looking forward to trying out different heels.  I know the heel flap.  I just recently tried out the short heel on the baby socks (which are still not done) and I'm not certain I'm really comfortable doing them yet.  I've done the afterthought heel and that actually sounds plausible.  The final option that I know of is the Sweet Tomato Heel by Cat Bordhi.  I've had the ebook for almost a year and I have not tried it out at all.  I guess the anklets would be a perfect opportunity to try it out.  The only question is how well it would work if the heel is being made out of a different colour yarn. I guess I should look more into it and decide. It may just make my math problem disappate.

I just came up with a fun and nifty idea (I sound like Ned Flanders don't I). This goes along with the whole ideas of socks that don't match.  I only have a 19 g of yarn for the main colour of the anklets. I've weighed the anklets that I have previously made and it weighs 38 g. So obviously, I don't have enough. However, I do have quite a few balls that are similar and I have about the same amount of yarn for them.  I therefore CAN make mismatched anklets with the same colour cuff, heel and toe. This way, I don't even have to make sure they match when they come out of the drawer.  Talk about saving time getting dressed!

I doubt by next week, I won't have anything to show for it in regards to the anklets other than my somewhat prepared Anklet ziplock project bag with circular needles in them (yes, I have to keep my DPNs free for the sock club shipment which should arrive on the 10th!)

No comments:

Post a Comment