Tuesday 14 May 2013

How to build a sock stash

It has been cold in my house for the past couple of days.  In order to keep warm, I've been wearing my Lissajous that don't stay up.  This has prompted me to want to make another pair of knee high socks (not anytime soon, mind you) and I found a couple of basic sock calculators for both regular length and knee high socks. Got to love all of these extra inspiration for building a sock stash.

Link to the sock tutorials:

Perhaps I can attempt a more basic type of knee highs closer towards the end of the year, beginning of next year. I can't even plan early for the kind of yarn I'd use since I have no idea what my stash is going to look like. I'm expecting quite empty.

I also need to start experimenting to make a good fitting anklet sock. Those kind of socks had always been my go to type before I learned how to knit socks. I do realize however that if I want to build my sock stash, I'm going to have to start making proper anklets for myself, especially to fit properly around my ankles.

Once I do that, I can also try to adapt some existing sock patterns that I like into anklets. I did manage to do one foot of the Blackrose socks as an anklet a couple years ago but since I only did one foot, it's kind of useless.

My mind is also spinning with ideas for basic, try as you go lace patterned anklets. I guess I'll save the larger portions of left over socks for anklet production, both matching and mismatching.

Of course, in order to do all of this, I have to increase my sock yarn stash.  Perhaps I'll just dwindle down what I have for this year and next year will be the year of increasing the sock yarn stash.  Since I've been wearing my Lissajous for the past 2 days, I've been wanting to get more Wollmeise sock yarn. One skein alone should get me 3 pairs of anklets at the minimum and they come in a vast variety of colours.  If I'm going to build a sock stash, they might as well be colourful.  I'm definitely going to try out a variety of different yarns for this endevour.  The yarns I know for sure that I will be using other than Wollmeise are:
  • Springtree Road Muscadine (like that would be such a big surprise with the amount of time I talk about the yarn),
  • Indigodragonfly MCN Sock
  • Gritty Knits (never underestimate the power of selling mini skeins. I have never purchased an entire skein of Gritty Knits yarn but I have gotten the mini skeins and I love it!)
  • Tanis Fibre Arts Blue (I have the yarn and I have petted it many many times but I have never actually knit with it)
There are many other yarns that I'd be open to try as well.  I'll try them from a destash first before I buy one outright.

I saw more flowers again that I took a picture of. I think they're pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment