Thursday 25 April 2013

Shout Outs! Springtree Road

Springtree Roads was my first foray into Independent Dyers.  By the time I had discovered it (through Ravelry's USEFUL advertisements), I had only used commercial yarns like Patons, Knitpicks etc.  And like every new knitter, I thpight the prices were way too high; "Like seriously! $11 for 100g of yarn?" I honestly think the only reason I tried Springtree Road was because of the banner advertising for 15% off.  I chose the Red Delicious colourway in the Muscadine line, because it was the cheapest...I sound like such a cheapskate.

I was excited when it came to my house.  Upon opening the package, I stared at it and petted it like there was no tomorrow.  I FINALLY understood why people were willing to pay more for the yarn (in reality and with comparison shopping, it's a really reasonable cost).  It felt so much nicer than the big box store brands.  Heck!  This merino felt much nicer than the merino I had gotten before.  Of course I couldn't do a full assessment until I knit with it.

The project I decided on was the BFF Socks by Cookie A.  there was so much preparation just to use this yarn.  I even signed up for a class at The Purple Purl in Toronto to learn how to cable (the YouTube videos were just not working for me...and I wanted to feel the Tanis Fibre Arts Yarn for myself).  I was determined to get my full monies worth for this yarn.

Let's just say, the BFF Socks are still my absolute favourtie socks and I wouldn't trade them for the world.  I even learned to embrace my mistakes (ie: the 5th cable on each foot is missing).

But it's not just the one skein of yarn that complete sold me.  It was also the little things like the hand written "Thank-You!" notes, the willingness to answer an inquiry about the base yarn (which resulted in me purchasing a base skein of Muscadine aka: the Nekkid Skein).

At this point, I don't even know how many skeins I have off the top of my head but I'm trying not to use them up too quickly until I can purchase some more.  One day, I hope to be able to purchase a sweater quantity's worth.

So Thank You to Maya at Springtree Road!  Please continue with making your beautiful yarns.




Website: Springtree Road | Yarn on Ravelry: HERE | Group on Ravelry: HERE

Projects I have used Springree Road Yarns for (project | colourway | base):

BFF Socks | Red Delicious | Muscadine
Dark Isle Socks | Late Dusk & Nekkid dyed by me | Muscadine
Ernie Socks | Calends | Julep
Pirouette Socks | Tea Rose | Muscadine

No comments:

Post a Comment